We have a database running Invision Power Board. The table containing the posts (>3.000.000 rows) keeps on crashing from time to time, and the index gets corrupt. We stop mysql, and run "myisamchk -r tablename", which behaves strangely. First it uses 3-5 minutes fixing the indexes. When the last index is fixed, it just hangs there for >10 minutes. What excactly is happening during this period?

Also, is there a difference between "repair table tablename" and "myisamchk -r tablename"? Our tables seem to crash again much faster using the latter alternative.

For the record, here is our configuration:
Dual opteron 250, 4 GB RAM
Debian stable, with MySQL 4.0.21 from backports.org

--
mvh. / Sincerely,
Anders Schau Knatten