Hi,
I have done an incredibly stupid thing. I have a server that suffered a bit of a failure. It wasn't a hard failure, but it was enough of one to have to rebuild the server from scratch. I was and am running mysql 4.0.22 on Gentoo with a 2.6 kernel. It rocks. However, The dumb thing that I did was fail to perform a mysqldump -a on the machine before I finished killing it. I rebuilt mysql from scratch. I then copied over the my.cnf files and I copied over the old /var/lib/mysql directory in tact. mysql wouldn't start at that point. I then deleted all the files in /var/lib/mysql and ran mysql_install_db. mysql starts automatically.

If I create one of the databases and then put the files for that database from the old installation in place of the newly created ones, the database is recognized, but i get errors saying that the columns in the tables are not recognized.

I'd really like to get this data back is there a way?

Curtis