[snip]
... a bunch of stuff....
[/snip]

It alomost sounds as if you're coming from a M$ camp....what you
describe are VIEWS.

Anyhow, the ANSI SQL standards specify some of the behaviors we have
been talking about. Many DB manufacturers use the standards and
implement other "features" like you describe that fall outside of the
standards.

I will repeat that with regards to the actions that you describe
concerning variables that you would be looking for something called a
CONSTANT. Variables are just that...variable.

Anyhow, it has been a good discussion. No bugs were uprooted and
everyone's understanding may have risen a notch. After a couple of
decades using SQL I still find interesting topics to discuss.