Kevin A. Burton wrote:
Mikael Fridh wrote:

Kevin A. Burton wrote:

This is a bug.

Feature.

Putting system configuration information on a unix machine in /var.. .yeah... thats not a feature.

It's a feature because you installed it there.
I decided to put my datadir in /mysql/data which makes the configuration information NOT in /var, see?
Even so, it's not 'configuration information', it's more like state information which mysql stores and constantly flushes to disk to make it as crash-safe as possible.

Slave is always "started" unless my.cnf says "skip-slave-start".
Anyway, WITH skip-slave-start you will still have the slave information (binlog positions etc.) initiated but it will just not start replicating.

The information in master.info overrides anything in my.cnf.

Again... and this file is in /var... Whats the point of /etc/my.cnf... why not just store everything in /var?

If you want you can have the datadir in /etc - it's your choice!

Take care
--
 ___
|K  | Ongame E-Solutions AB - www.ongame.com
| /\| Mikael Fridh / Technical Operations
|_\/| tel: +46 18 606 538 / fax: +46 18 694 411