Hi Tom,
    Thanks for the reply!  I show the following information for my DB,
and shows the same for both the 3.23 DB And the 4.18a DB

Field      ----   Type     ----     Collation
avatardata ---- mediumtext ---- latin1_swedish_ci

I pasted a data table from the bad avatar and the good avatar
to a file differential program, there was no differential at all
that the system found..

I'm not too sure where or what to do to change this information? Do you mean
that I recompile MySQL using different ./configure commands?

Thanks Tom!

[EMAIL PROTECTED] <mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote on Thursday, January
06, 2005 4:57 PM:

> Sorry, forgot the attachments.  These are the same exact two
> avatars from the same user, using my 3.23 backup, for the
> good avatar, then the 4.18 bad avatar

Looks like a character set issue - what's the column type, BLOB or TEXT or
something in between?

This could be due to the server converting UTF-8 into a different character
set. Characters such as 0x8F (143 decimal) and 0x8D are being converted into
0x3F, which is "?" and often indicates that the character does not exist in
the target collation. Basically, MySQL is treating the content as text, and
replacing characters which it doesn't understand with "?". Try using a
different collation or character set, and importing again?

Unfortunately, the conversion is not reversible - a set of characters have
been replaced with a single character, so although the image is the same
binary size, some of the data has been permanently lost unless you can
restore from the backup.

cheers,

Tom