Check that the user has FILE privileges, given that a SELECT ... INTO
OUTFILE sounds awfully like a mysqldump :-

 The FILE privilege gives you permission to read and write files on the
server host using the LOAD DATA INFILE and SELECT ... INTO OUTFILE
statements. A user who has the FILE privilege can read any file on the
server host that is either world-readable or readable by the MySQL
server. (This implies the user can read any file in any database
directory, because the server can access any of those files.) The FILE
privilege also allows the user to create new files in any directory
where the MySQL server has write access. Existing files cannot be
overwritten.

Regards

David Logan
Database Administrator