On Sun, 23 Jan 2005 11:27:56 -0500
"J. Wren Hunt" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> I'm curious why you're interested in removing -lcrypt? Do you intend
> replace it with another algorithm? Or are you just trying to minimize
> size/processing, etc.?

After further reading of what I disable, I see that I have created an
unacceptable situation.  'SELECT ENCRYPT("hello");' returns NULL.

So, I am back into this problem and looking for answers.  The encrypt
function works fine on Solaris x86 and crashes so hard on Solaris 8,9
sparc that mysqld will not run.

BTW, building version 4.1.9.  I had the same problem with 4.0.23a.

Thanks, Alex