Hi

If this is verbatim code the connection string is inside the function and
the connection parameters are  outside, so they will not be available to the
mysql_connect()

Try

 function db_connect()
{
   //Database Settings
 $db_host = 'localhost'; //database hostname
 $db_name = 'powerpla_powerplay'; //database name
 $db_user = 'root'; //database USER name
 $db_pass = 'rootpass'; // database password

                                if ($dbc = @mysql_connect($db_host,
$db_user, $db_pass)) {
                                                                if
(!mysql_select_db($db_name)) {

die('<p>Could not connect to the database because: <b>' . mysql_error() .
                                                                }
                                } else {

die('<p>Could not connect to the database because: <b>' . mysql_error() .
                                }
}

HTH
Peter