Does anyone know the point that the MySQL Administrator can't report on table sizes?

Misao:

I do not use MySQL Adminstrator, so I do not know at what point it is unable to correctly report the size of a table. But if there exists a table that it cannot correctly report the size of, it is a bug in the MySQL Administrator, and should be reported at http://bugs.mysql.com

You can use SHOW TABLE STATUS LIKE 'table_name' to get the info about any given table.

Also, does anyone know any of the magic numbers where things get difficult for databases and tables and even the main server when it gets too big?

There is no one magic number, but I define a couple of threshholds that could be of some guidance:

* when the table does not fit into RAM anymore
* when the most frequently accessed part of the table does not fit into RAM anymore

However, the actual cut-off values for when the trouble starts is largely application dependent.

--
Sasha Pachev
AskSasha Linux Consulting