I've got a weird problem that's driving me nuts. I'm updating a set of
scripts for a customer database that supports sending out software
registration codes in real time. I've had this working for some time now,
but I'm having the most frustrating problem. Data I've inserted simply
VANISHES.

I've added extensive debugging code to these scripts to track what's going
on - almost line-by-line - and I see NOTHING wrong. The best I can figure is
that the data exists until the script completes, and then (sometimes but not
always) it simply disappears. I get no error messages of any kind, and I
have confirmed that every step of the way things are happening as they
should. Execution is in the order I expect, the variables hold the values I
expect, etc. For example, the echo statements will say that order #1001 or
whatever was inserted, but when I go to look after the script completes,
it's not there! It's not my "looking" program, either - I've tried two. In
phpMyAdmin I'll look for ever record inserted in the last two days and there
is simply nothing there. I also have a custom program that displays sales
information that similarly shows the order as vanished. And of course, the
total number of records doesn't change - the record that MySQL says it
inserted is definitely not there.

What makes this all the more mysterious is that it happens intermittently.
Sometimes when the script completes and reports success, the record really
is there, and sometimes it's not. I am going crazy with this.

Does this sound familiar to anyone? Do anyone have any idea what can be
going on?

One other bit of weirdness that may be related. The scripts are in a dozen
ore more different files. (This is all CGI-PHP on an Apache server.) One of
the things I was doing during this update was to go through all the scripts
and be more consistent about error handling. There was one file where in the
mysql_query I was specifying the query but not the link (letting it default
- I'm only using one database). I tried adding the connection because it's
in all the other files, but I couldn't. Whenever I tried, I got a warning
and then an error about it being a bad link. But this is not a bad link.
It's the same link I'm using in every file in this database application.

Is my computer haunted? Can anyone help?!

          - Sheryl