listsql listsql wrote:

Since I read about Foaf [ http://www.foaf-project.org/ ], I become
interested with Social Networking,

What you're doing is often called link analysis -- searches on that term may yield more for you to chew on. There are software tools and visualization tools for answering the kind of questions this data covers. For the latter, Pajek (http://vlado.fmf.uni-lj.si/pub/networks/pajek/) is one of the most interesting.

More generally, you're storing a graph in a relational database. Searching on that subject will show you several approaches.

The way I deal with this is to create tables pretty much as you have, but instead of self-joins in MySQL, I load it all into a program that stores the graph in hashes, then uses recursion to get the kind of answers you want. This is much, much, much faster than doing the same in the database, though it might become memory constrained if you have a big network. In that case, my next step is to do all of the recursions and store the results in the database as pairs and their distances from one another. Then it's a simple lookup.

If you do find a way to do this efficiently in MySQL, I'll be interested!

Nick