I don't know much about the windows side of things so these are the only
resources I could find.

>From the http://www.phpadmin.net site FAQ

[1.17a] I cannot connect to the MySQL server. It always returns the
error message, "Client does not support authentication protocol
requested by server; consider upgrading MySQL client"

You tried to access MySQL with an old MySQL client library. The version
of your MySQL client library can be checked in your phpinfo() output.
In general, it should have at least the same minor version as your
server - as mentioned in FAQ 1.17.
The only way to fix this problem is manually compiling php and its MySQL
extension against a current MySQL client library.
If you still face this problem, please compile your MySQL client library
against the same or a newer MySQL release.

>From the http://www.php.net site mysql_connect function, while not
exactly the same version, the same problem occurs.

maybe you have seen this (using PHP 4.3.9 and MySQL client/server 4.1)

Error w/ php: mysql_connect(): Client does not support authentication
protocol

Solution:
mysql -u root-p

SET PASSWORD FOR [EMAIL PROTECTED] = OLD_PASSWORD('password');

It is clearly that this is a bug in PHP's mysql module, perhaps it will
be upgraded in the next version

Resource: http://forums.mysql.com/read.php?11,6400,6701#msg-6701

Regards

David Logan