Thanks for the documentation, there are some interesting things in there.

I may however have to go further than this and have true autonomous MySQL. Not sharing any /etc/my.cfg. Running everything from some '~' directory:

~/etc/mysql.conf
~/bin/mysql*
~/libexec/mysqld
~/logs/
~/var/
~/mysql.sock
~/start.sh
~/stop.sh

(etc)

Therefore having a truely portable service group. This is needed so that I can shunt the service from machine to machine to control load and handle outages.

This bit seems farly simple. As long as I start it up very carefully so as to avoid IP conflicts, read the correct mysql.conf file etc...

But my worry still remains:

I can make MySQL 'autonomous' in this way only to a point. They limit I can see is where external libs are needed. These may conflict if compiled from different versions with the same file name.

I would be interested to know from any member whether this may be the case.

Whether there are any libs MySQL creates which will conflict from different versions. Eg, does 4.0 and 4.1 use different libmysqlclinet.so but have the same file name. Therefore one will work, one will dump :(

Or maybe I can create the libs in my autonomous portable directory:

~/libs/libmysqlclient.so

But many thanks for the documentation, this will be a great start to finding my solution.

Regards,

Ben.

Kevin Cowley wrote:
AS I read the Mysql-multi stuff it works if you have multiple instances
of the same version but not different version instances.
With different version instances you (may) have differences in
mysqld_safe, mysqld itself, and more than likely in the libraries
themselves so you need to use the mysqld_safe version that corresponds
to the version you want.

Kevin Cowley
R&D
Tel: 0118 902 9099 (direct line)