David -

Here is a link to search results on http://www.esri.com.
http://search.esri.com/results.cfm? h=10&ho=0&q=arcview+shapefile&sa.x=26&sa.y=11
ESRI is the leader in GIS software and the maker of the application, "ArcView". Check out the link for the first search result on the link I gave you. The first result is entitled "ESRI Shapefile Technical Description ". It's a pdf whitepaper, and should get you started.

Also, here is GRASS (http://openosx.com/grass/), "the opensource alternative to ArcView..."

Cheers...James