Dear Jason -

Jason Feingold writes:

> Hi - Im installing the MySQL-bench-3.23.37-1.i386.rpm, cant install
> because of a MySQL-DBI-perl-bin dependency.

Using the RPM mechanism to install perl modules is fraught with
problems.  Don't use it; you'll be sorry you did in the long run.

But, fear not there is a good solution to your problem.  The perl
community has developed a solution analogous to RPM called "cpan".
There is a cpan module that is most likely already installed on your
system.  You can confirm that by typing 'perl -e "use CPAN;" '
(without the single quotes) at the command line.  If you don't get any
wierd error messages you already have the cpan module.  (If you don't
have it you can download it, and zillions of others, at www.cpan.org.

Now that you've got CPAN.pm you can type 'perl -MCPAN -e shell' and
follow the reasonably intuitive interactive prompts.  There's also
documentation available by typing 'perldoc CPAN'.  The commands you're
going to end up typing in the end are:

cpan> i /mysql/
cpan> install Bundle::DBD::mysql
cpan> i /dbi/
cpan> install Bundle::DBI

The cpan tool is built specifically for perl and you will get a more
robust install by using it for perl modules.

Let me warn you that I haven't installed these modules in a while and
you may find that there are C dependencies that I'm forgetting that
aren't handled well.  If you have problems just write again and I or
someone else will be happy to help.

        Yours -   Billy