OS: Red Hat Linux 6.0 / Intel
1GB RAM

MySQL 3.23.36
PHP4.0.4PL1
Linux kernel 2.4.3
Using the my.cnf for medium sized sites

mySQL starts with safe_mysqld and there are three threads running. Queries
come in and out and it's quite fast. Using mysqladmin proc status shows no
queries running.

After about 12 hours, the number of mySQL threads visible in ps have shot to
about 75. At this point the server reports "No More Connections", both
through PHP and from mysqladmin.

What's going on here? I can't figure it out. I can't even get in to diagnose
the problem, since the server is out of connections. 99% of my queries are
SELECT's.

It sounds like something is hanging on to connections and not returning
them... I'm using mysql_connect() in the PHP scripts.

Any ideas? This has taken my Web site out about 5 or 6 times in the last two
weeks. It's no fun. Anything anyone could do to help would be great.

Hunter