PHP has a function called phpinfo() that lets you see it's internal
settings.

It's reporting the mySQL client API as 3.23.22-beta... I'm using 3.23.36...
That's compiling PHP with it's internal client libraries for mySQL...

Maybe that's part of the problem?

I tried to compile PHP against the new mySQL libraries, but that won't even
build (I have a help request in on their mailing list...).

Are there enough differences between 3.23.23 and 3.23.36 that might be
causing connections to not drop?

Hunter