Greg Whalin wrote:

Many data centers do not allow customers to install their own UPS inside the rack. I am not sure if this is the case with Wikipedia, but it is definitely the case at the data center we are hosted in. I would love to shove one in after reading the horror stories at Livejournal and now Wikipedia.

I see.
Do the data centers offer their own UPS ( as opposed to the customer setting up one for themselves ), or do they simple ban the use of UPSs outright?

Either way, if you *need* a UPS, you can't hide behind the excuse "oh yeah but XYZ wouldn't let me". You find a way to make it happen ... or if you can't you at least don't start blaming your software for what is obviously a hardware issue.

--
Daniel Kasak
IT Developer