Many data centers do not allow customers to install their own UPS inside the rack. I am not sure if this is the case with Wikipedia, but it is definitely the case at the data center we are hosted in. I would love to shove one in after reading the horror stories at Livejournal and now Wikipedia.

Greg
[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Meetup.com

Daniel Kasak wrote:
Scott Haneda wrote:

There is a thread over at /. about WikiMedia being out due to a power outage
<http://slashdot.org/articles/05/02/22/0151213.shtml?tid=95>

MySql is getting bashed pretty hard in some cases as apparently, in power
failures, you get database corruption. (this is all from the posts, not my
opinion at all, I am asking only to learn more) Also, it is mentioned the
MySql devs just do not have data corruption from power failure a high
priority.

Many are leaning on Postgres. For me, MySql has never let me down (Knock on
PSU) but I have to ask, for more data on this matter. I run MySql on OS X,
I sometimes have to reboot, it comes back up fine, I do however, do nothing
special to shut down mysql, should I be?

There are certainly some people who have nothing better to do than preach the benefits of Postgres over MySQL on Slashdot.
The simple fact is that no matter how fancy your software is, if your computer experiences a power outage, you can't *insist* that one particular application somehow protect your data from the fate of everything else on your computer.

We have a UPS connected to our 2 servers. The Linux server is running apcupsd and controlling the Win2k server ( also running apcupsd in slave mode ). Both servers are connected via a crossover cable to each other ( so we don't have to put the network switches on the UPS ).

If WikiMedia can't implement something at least as good as the above, then how can they or anyone else point the finger at MySQL for data corruption? The mind boggles over what they expect.

Having said that, our MySQL server has experienced a power 'issue' ( my boss tripped over the power cord coming from the UPS ). We both turned white :) But MySQL started up OK, rolled back a transaction or 2, and continued on it's way.

There's nothing like a UPS though. Or better yet, a UPS, daily backups, and a transaction log.