Thanks for the quick response. I note within the database directory a
#sql- file but it has not been modified for two days, around the time
the index was begun.

Does this have a bearing on matters? Last thing we need is to kill
mysqld processes and find the innodb data file is corrupt beyond
repair.

Unfortunately the server.err file is not giving me any output, nor
.log and I don't have a .status file either.

Thanks,

John.