I sent this earlier, but it doesn't seem to have gone through. Apologies to anyone who gets it twice.

=========

From perldoc DBD::mysql

  use DBI;

  $dsn = "DBI:mysql:database=$database;host=$hostname;port=$port";

  $dbh = DBI->connect($dsn, $user, $password);

So it's not a syntax problem. Even if it were, we should detect the error long before calling prepare or execute.

Perl is quite clearly telling you what is wrong.  Originally, you got

  Can't call method "prepare" on an undefined value.

for the line

  my $sth = $dbh->prepare( $sql );

which means that $dbh is undefined at the time of the call to prepare.

Now, you are getting

  Can't call method "execute" on an un undefined value

for the line

  $sth->execute( $group_name, $me, $daily, $item, $unit, $qty, $amount,
    $tax, $total ) or warn "Cannot execute FIRST Statement!!\n$DBI::errstr";

which means that $sth is undefined at the time of the call to execute.

Are you showing us select lines of your code, rather than the actual code? My best guess right now is that you haven't taken into account that "my" is a scoping operator in perl, and in the lines you haven't showed us, the variables in question ($dbh or $sth) go out of scope.

Michael