Hello Gleb,

Below is an extract of the SQLyog history on startup
/*[02:26:25 PM][   0 ms]*/ show variables like '%character%'
/*[02:26:25 PM][   0 ms]*/ Set character_set_connection=utf8
/*[02:26:25 PM][   0 ms]*/ Set character_set_results=utf8
/*[02:26:25 PM][   0 ms]*/ Set character_set_client=utf8
/*[02:26:25 PM][   0 ms]*/ show databases

I then tested again without any change this even shows up in a varchar field where I am trying to put in the Afrikaans word visuële (first e alt 0235) and it truncates before the e so I get visu and then nothing. show variables like '%char%'; reports as follows:-

mysql> show variables like '%char%';
+--------------------------+--------------------+
| Variable_name            | Value              |
+--------------------------+--------------------+
| character_set_client     | utf8               |
| character_set_connection | utf8               |
| character_set_database   | utf8               |
| character_set_results    | utf8               |
| character_set_server     | utf8               |
| character_set_system     | utf8               |
| character_sets_dir       | C:\share\charsets/ |
+--------------------------+--------------------+
7 rows in set (0.01 sec)

mysql>
Yet the data is still lost.

I do appologise for taking so much of your time but this is becomming highly frustrating as the site I am building is English Afrikaans German and Spanish and I call all data for that language based on the language chosen by the user or default to the language I detect from a lookup of his IP address.

Many thanks

Rob

Gleb Paharenko wrote:

Hello.

Use

 set NAMES 'utf8';

to set the connection character sets to the corresponding values. See:

 http://dev.mysql.com/doc/mysql/en/charset-connection.html

Rob Cochrane <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

Hi Gleb,

Ok here is the command line info which also answers the version question.
Enter password: **********
Your MySQL connection id is 1 to server version: 4.1.9-nt

mysql> show variables like '%char%';
+--------------------------+--------------------+
| Variable_name            | Value              |
+--------------------------+--------------------+
| character_set_client     | latin1             |
| character_set_connection | latin1             |
| character_set_database   | utf8               |
| character_set_results    | latin1             |
| character_set_server     | utf8               |
| character_set_system     | utf8               |
| character_sets_dir       | C:\share\charsets/ |
+--------------------------+--------------------+
7 rows in set (0.72 sec)

mysql>
I am downloading v.10 right now. I believed we were using .10 but in verifying I have found not. I will re-test when the upgrade is installed.

Many thanks

Rob

Gleb Paharenko wrote:

At first, we should check that there is nothing wrong with the character_set_xxx variables. Please send us the output of the following statement:

show variables like '%char%';

Does the problem remain if you are making the query using a mysql
command line client? Do you use the latest release (4.1.10 now)?