if I have changed my /etc/security/limits.conf file to include these lines:

mysql    soft      nofile        4096
mysql    hard     nofile        63536

and then done:

[EMAIL PROTECTED] root]# su mysql
[EMAIL PROTECTED] root]$ ulimit -n 8192
[EMAIL PROTECTED] root]$ ulimit -n
8192

does this new 8192 open file limit apply to the already-running mysqld process,
which was started like so:

[EMAIL PROTECTED] root]# /usr/local/mysql/bin/mysqld_safe --user=mysql &

? or will I need to restart the mysql server and/or machine to have the new
open files limit take effect for the mysql server? am I correct that the open
files limit placed on the mysql user will be the limit faced by the mysqld
process, since the process is started with the --user=mysql option?

thanks,
-L