Hi Luke, all,

Am Do, den 03.03.2005 schrieb Crouch, Luke H. um 15:44:
> if I have changed my /etc/security/limits.conf file to include these lines:
>
> mysql    soft      nofile        4096
> mysql    hard     nofile        63536
>
> and then done:
>
> [EMAIL PROTECTED] root]# su mysql
> [EMAIL PROTECTED] root]$ ulimit -n 8192
> [EMAIL PROTECTED] root]$ ulimit -n
> 8192
>
> does this new 8192 open file limit apply to the already-running mysqld
> process, [[...]]

the limit value is an attribute of the currently running shell whose
initial value is taken from the machine's administrative settings at
login time. Any change applies to the shell's current value.
This is inherited by all child processes when these are forked.
A later change does not affect child processes which are already
running.

In this respect, compare it to an environment variable.

> ? or will I need to restart the mysql server and/or machine to have the new
> open files limit take effect for the mysql server? am I correct that the open
> files limit placed on the mysql user will be the limit faced by the mysqld
> process, since the process is started with the --user=mysql option?

See above.

BTW: Please break your long lines.

Regards,
Joerg