I agree with Greg, your data structure may be getting in your way. It's
more "normalized" to make a list of values into rows of values, not into
lots of columns.

I may have had a similar design problem as you are facing. I have to deal
with LOADS of laboratory analysis data (lots of data points for each
sample) and rather than build a table "wide" enough to hold every possible
analysis result (one row per sample), I normalized the data into two
tables a "sample" table and a "results" table. I have been having
excellent results with maintaining the data, with data retrieval times,
and maintaining the user interface code.  Everything is so much more
simple than if I had used a single row per result.

If you can, will you please post an example of your data structure? You
can change all of the names you like so long as we get an idea of what you
are trying to deal with. How do you need to use this data? I ask that
because you can usually optimize query speed with good database design.
What is an example of the query you are trying to write? Is this a common
query or a special case?