I have 3 different MySQL server setups. On two of the servers, one running 4.0 and one running 4.1, I have seen a peculiar problem. It seems that when a client server is taken offline for a period of time (few hours to couple of days) and is brought back online, MySQL has a problem resolving the hostname and the clients are denied access. Obviously my privileges are setup by hostname instead of IP. I have also seen a weird problem with one client that makes and closes a lot of connections. MySQL cannot resolve this servers hostname for brief periods around the same time every day. Are there any known issues with MySQL and its internal DNS caching? Could there be something wrong with my DNS servers configuration? It just seems odd that it works fine 99.9% of the time. I suppose I will have to change my privileges to use IPs.

Any help or input would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Ed

--