You are confusing data retrieval with data presentation. Sure, SQL can do
many things to format data but some data formats are better achieved
through the programming language you are using to present this data for
viewing. In my opinion, the type of formatting you want to do is one of
those tasks.

Shawn Green
Database Administrator
Unimin Corporation - Spruce Pine

"Xristos Karvouneas" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote on 03/16/2005 09:03:25
AM:

> The code for generating the tables is shown below:
>
> create table book
> (
> bookid char(12) not null,
> dimensions char(15),
> availability char(30),
> booktype char(20),
> publisher char(20),
> isbn char(20),
> itemsinstock int(3),
> price float(5,2),
> title char(50),
> toc char(24),
> picture char(36),
> primary key (bookid));
>

> create table author
> (
> authorid char(12) not null,
> name char(24),
> primary key (authorid));
>
> create table authorbook
> (
> bookid char(12) not null references book,
> authorid char(12) not null references author,
> primary key(bookid,authorid));
>

> Basically, I want to get it in the format specified in the message, i.e.
if
> the title is the same, I do not want it to be printed again...
>
> Any ideas?
>
> >From: gerald_clark <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
> >To: Xristos Karvouneas <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
> >CC: mysql@lists.mysql.com
> >Subject: Re: Query Problem
> >Date: Tue, 15 Mar 2005 14:49:45 -0600
> >
> >Xristos Karvouneas wrote:
> >
> >>Dear All,
> >>
> >>I am faced with the following problem: I have got three tables -
> >>book,author and authorbook - containing information about books and
> >>authors (some books have multiple authors). I want to do a query that
> >>would print information like:
> >>
> >>Title 1     Author 1
> >>              Author 2
> >>
> >>Title 2    Author 3
> >>             Author 4
> >>
> >>I have written the following:
> >>
> >>select distinct title, name
> >>from authorbook,book,author where
> >>authorbook.authorid=author.authorid and
> >>book.bookid=authorbook.bookid;
> >
> >You want to add:
> >ORDER BY title,name;
> >
> >You probably are getting them all, but not in the order you expect.
> >

> >>hoping that it will do what I want, but I am only getting the first
author
> >>for each book (probably because of the distinct keyword).
> >>
> >>Is there any way I can modify the query so that it does what I want it
> >>do?
> >>
> >>I look forward to hearing from you soon.
> >>
> >>Thanks in advance.
> >>
> >>George

> >>Express yourself instantly with MSN Messenger! Download today it's
FREE!