Mahmoud Badreddine wrote:

I got it working , thank you.
I only could do what I wanted to do in multisteps however. I couldn't
figure out the nested querying , and it's bugging me.
Here's how I issued it.
mysql> update tableDummy set newDate=(select
str_to_date('(concat(DayVal,".",MonthVal,".",YearVal))','%d.%m.%Y'));

That's because there is no nested querying needed here. The syntax is SET col = newvalue. This would have worked if you'd simply left out the "select".

Also, there would be no need for STR_TO_DATE() if you use CONCAT() to put the string in the correct form in the first place.

Try

  UPDATE tableDummy
  SET newDate = concat(YearVal,"-",MonthVal,"-",DayVal)

instead.

Michael

And although I got an error, it did give all zero values for the
date(e.g 0000-00-00)

no big deal now that I have what I want, but if someone can pick out
my error, would be greatly apreciated.