Unfortunatly I can't use the alias txt in the where clause:
Standard SQL doesn't allow you to refer to a column alias in a WHERE clause. This is because when the WHERE code is executed, the column value may not yet be determined. For example, the following query is illegal:

SELECT id, COUNT(*) AS cnt FROM tbl_name WHERE cnt > 0 GROUP BY id;

http://dev.mysql.com/doc/mysql/en/problems-with-alias.html

From: Peter Brawley <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
CC: mel list_php <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,  mysql@lists.mysql.com
Subject: Re: search through one/several tables
Date: Wed, 23 Mar 2005 10:46:10 -0600

Shawn, Mel

>I am not aware of any SQL dialect that supports a query of the kind you
>are asking about. If there were such a query it _might_ look something
>like this

>SELECT <column list>
>FROM <table reference>
>WHERE ANY_COLUMN(<column name list>) LIKE <search parameter>

Right, but Mel can emulate your ANY_COLUMN with something like

 SELECT CONCAT( col1, ..., colN ) AS txt
 FROM tbl
 WHERE txt LIKE '%foobar%';

PB

-----

[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

I am not aware of any SQL dialect that supports a query of the kind you are asking about. If there were such a query it _might_ look something like this

SELECT <column list>
FROM <table reference>
WHERE ANY_COLUMN(<column name list>) LIKE <search parameter>

but like I said, I can't think of any SQL server that has a function like ANY_COLUMN() or its equivalent. Sorry! I think you will need to do a column-by-column comparison (especially if you want to use LIKE or RLIKE).

Shawn Green
Database Administrator
Unimin Corporation - Spruce Pine