I discovered by accident that I can link any website
on my reseller account to one database. That would be
far more convenient than working with six separate
databases, and it would also cut down on file size
overall, since there are certain tables that I share
between websites.

But my host warned me that a big database could
increase query time and make it harder to update. I
want to understand exactly how this works.

Suppose I have two database tables and one website
that's linked to both those tables. Suppose it takes
one second to query those tables.

Now if I add 100 tables, but my website still queries
just two of them, will a query still take one second?
Or will those additional tables slow things down, even
though my website doesn't even make any reference to
them?

And will those extra websites make it take
increasingly longer to add additional tables or modify
existing tables?

I would think my local database ought to be a good
guide. I have over 100 tables in the same database on
my computer, and things seem to work just fine. Of
course, I realize things take longer online. My
webpages do run a little slow, but I think that's
because of some sloppiness in designing my database
tables; that's something I'll just have to refine as I
learn more about MySQL.

Thanks.