Scott Klarenbach wrote:

>Is there a way to represent infinity in mysql?
>
>I've got a range field in my GUI, which is "> x"...
>
>if the user chooses this field, in the DB, I store it as:
>
>id | from | to | other
>2 | x | infinity | etc...
>
>this is because there are situations of "< x" and "between x AND y",
>so from and to is the easiest way to store it...
>
>I could make infinity default to 100,000,000 or some other number I
>know will never be reached, but it seems less elegant a solution...

If the user enters infinity, store a NULL value in the field. In your
code, if you detect a NULL value, don't use a limit. ie don't say
'between x and y', but instead say something like:

where
 some_field > x
 and some_field < y

in the case where there are 2 values, or:

where
 some_field > x

in the case where a NULL value is detected in y, or:

where
 some_field < y

in the case where a NULL value is detected in x

--
Daniel Kasak
IT Developer