Hi,

I searched for previous discussion on this topic, but didn't find any.

I would like to see a centralized MySQL hosted UDF archive and development
project. The only existing 'archives' seem to be somewhat poorly
maintained (sorry), and suffer for their duplicated efforts and being
loosely distributed throughout the web.

The best I can find are here (ranked according to Google)...

http://empyrean.lib.ndsu.nodak.edu/~nem/mysql/udf/
http://www.oreillynet.com/pub/wlg/2292
http://www.thecodeproject.com/Purgatory/mygroupconcat.asp
http://mysql-udf.sourceforge.net/
http://www.linuxjournal.com/article/6841

I think a centralized project would do wonders for the UDF community,
allowing UDF's to be discussed, suggested and developed under one roof. A
first step should be to create a [EMAIL PROTECTED] mailing list. Without
such a central list the UDF community can't communicate effectively. Who
better than MySQL to organize the MySQL UDF community?

A simple "not officially supported" statement is all that is needed. Good
UDF's could become part of MySQL proper, and a UDF 'bundle' would be a
great development. MySQL programmers could help build UDF's, and the
community could vote on 'wanted' functions.

You could probably guess where all this is going, and that is towards my
own UDF request (where to ask?), but I will leave that for later.

Any comments? Any postings that I have missed? Any reason that their is no
udf mailing list? I think that their are tons of UDF's waiting to happen,
given the right conditions.

All the best,
Dan.