----- Original Message -----
From: "David Blomstrom" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: <mysql@lists.mysql.com>
Sent: Tuesday, March 29, 2005 11:29 PM
Subject: Need Help with 813-MDB File

> I acquired a CD-ROM that lists many thousands of
> animal species. The main file is a 813-MB MDB file.
> I'm not sure if it's a spreadsheet or database, but
> it's apparently designed to work with Microsoft
> Access, which I THINK is a spreadsheet. (I don't have
> it.)

Access is *not* a spreadsheet, it's a database. I don't have it either but
I've used it.

> I have just enough memory to open the file in WordPad,
> but it doesn't do any good because much of the data
> consists of unintelligible characters.
>
> Anyway, I need to figure out a way to import this
> monster into MySQL. Are you aware of any freeware
> programs that can open up files designed for Access?
> Is there a way to convert a MDB file directly into a
> csv file, which could then be imported into MySQL?

Apparently, this is simple to do if you have Access; I believe you can just
do an Export to CSV (or other formats) within Access.

If you don't have Access, it could get somewhat more complex depending on
what tools you have. I was curious about your question so I did a Google
newsgroup search using these three terms:
    export MDB CSV
and got lots of hits. Some of them talked about ways to read  MDB files
without having Access, with Perl for example. So I would suggest that you do
a similar search, perhaps adding in some additional keywords that reflect
the tools/languages you do have, to find out which ways are available to
you.

> I'll probably eventually break it into sections. At
> the very least, I'll probably divide it between
> vertebrates (which I'll use the most) and
> invertebrates.

I have no idea if that can be done without Access, let alone how to do it.

Rhino