Hi,
I have suse 9.2 and MySQL 4.21
My basedir is /var/lib/mysql
datadir /data/mysql/mysqldata
Both the directories and subdirectories and files are owned by user mysq,l group mysql with rights 755. So I guess I have got the permissions part right or so I hope.
Everything was working fine till I decided to move the data directory from its previous location to the above one.
I had millions of problems after moving the data directory and the database won't start at all.
Just to make things work I made the base and data dirs 777. Finally, I can now start it using `mysql.server start`
But the good part ends here. I can only see mysql and test databases and i have to log on as root to mysql. My earlier users and databases won't show. Although I have the datafiles at the specified location. This might be coz I ran mysql_install_db again. If I change the rights of base and data dirs to 755, it won't work.

I still can't start using mysqld_safe.

My /etc/my.cnf has following:

[mysqld]
port            = 3306
socket          = /var/lib/mysql/mysql.sock
user=mysql
datadir=/data/mysql/mysqldata
bdb_home=/data/mysql/mysqldata

[mysql_server]
basedir = /var/lib/mysql

[mysql.server]
basedir = /var/lib/mysql

[mysqld_safe]
err-log=/var/lib/mysql/mysqld.log

innodb_data_home_dir=/data/mysql/mysqldata innodb_data_file_path=ibdata1:10M:autoextend innodb_log_group_home_dir=/data/mysql/ innodb_log_arch_dir=/data/mysql/

and so on..
anyway, so this my.cnf doesn't seem to make any difference. when i try

mysqld_safe  & it gives

Starting mysqld-max daemon with databases from /var/lib/mysql
/usr/bin/mysqld_safe: line 307: /var/lib/mysql/www.eh3.uc.edu.err: Permission denied
/usr/bin/mysqld_safe: line 313: /var/lib/mysql/www.eh3.uc.edu.err: Permission denied
STOPPING server from pid file /var/lib/mysql/www.eh3.uc.edu.pid
tee: /var/lib/mysql/www.eh3.uc.edu.err: Permission denied
050402 07:39:03 mysqld ended
tee: /var/lib/mysql/www.eh3.uc.edu.err: Permission denied

So I try mysqld_safe --user=mysql --err-log=/var/lib/mysql/mysqld.log & and I get

050402 07:40:29 mysqld started
050402 7:40:29 InnoDB: Started
050402 7:40:29 Fatal error: Can't open privilege tables: Table 'mysql.host' doesn't exist
050402 7:40:29 Aborting

050402  7:40:29  InnoDB: Starting shutdown...
050402  7:40:31  InnoDB: Shutdown completed
050402  7:40:31 /usr/sbin/mysqld-max: Shutdown Complete

050402 07:40:31  mysqld ended

and when i try to specify basedir with above command like
mysqld_safe --user=mysql --err-log=/var/lib/mysql/mysqld.log --basedir=/var/lib/mysql &

i get
050402 07:38:28 mysqld started
050402 7:38:28 Can't find messagefile '/var/lib/mysql/share/mysql/english/errmsg.sys'
050402 7:38:28 Aborting

050402 07:38:28  mysqld ended

wonderful!!!!!!!!

From what I understand, mysqld_safe is supposed to read these options from
my.cnf. but its not and i have to specify them on command line.

I have spent 4 days and sacrificed an enticing surfing trip on this and feel like i m the dumbest guy on face of earth. every problem seem to spawn off a new one as soon as its solved..

I will really appreciate if someone could just point out the exact problem to me and give a direction.

Thanks in advance
Kaustubh