I have been struggling to maintain decent performance on a web/database server for a good 6 months now due to MySQL performance issues. I have decided that my best option at this point is to take it to the list, so in advance, I thank you all for taking a look.

There is no error messages that can be posted, so I will try and describe what's happening as best I can.

I am joining 3 tables in one query. I have had numerous people examine the queries and all have given their stamp of approval. What happens when I run it is MySQL takes the processor for a ride, spiking it to 100% until I restart mysqld.

The tables range from 50,000 to 85,000 records, and the join is only supposed to return 1 record.

My question to you is this: are there changes I can make to the configuration to improve performance? --or-- is data de-normalization my best option?

Is there any more information you need from me to answer this question?

Current setup:
2.4ghz Pentium 4, 1gb ram, 360gb 4-disc raid 5 array w/ 3ware chassis and card, fedora core 3 w/ all patches and updates, selinux -disabled-, mysql 4.1.10a, MyISAM table format.

Again, thank you all in advance,
Jason