X y <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote on 04/05/2005 03:51:02 PM:

> On Apr 5, 2005 9:06 PM, [EMAIL PROTECTED] <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> >
> > Could it be that you are using a pre-4.1 client with a post-4.1
server? Do
> > exactly what you did before except try this:
> >
> > UPDATE mysql.user SET
> > Password=OLD_PASSWORD('my_new_password') WHERE User='root'
>
> Did the above, put in my old password in OLD_PASSWORD and my new
> password within the 'my_new_password' field (so to speak)
>

> > You will need to FLUSH PRIVILEGES again. If this doesn't work at least
we
> > have eliminated another possibility.
>

> Now I got this error message after doing mysql> FLUSH PRIVILEGES;
>
> ERROR 1064: You have an error in your SQL syntax.  Check the manual
> that corresponds to your MySQL server version for the right syntax to
> use near 'FLUSH PRIVILEGES' at line 2
>

> I'm using 4.0.20 (Your MySQL connection id is 1 to server version:
4.0.20)

> Thank you for your feedback, 'tis appreciated!!!
>

>  N.P
I think you misunderstood....

OLD_PASSWORD() is a function (not something I wanted to you retype) added
to versions 4.1 and later that will hash whatever plain text is in it into
a pre-4.1 password just as the PASSWORD() function hashes plain text into
a more robust post-4.1 password. I also left off the ending semicolon from
the update statement (sorry that was my error) the actual statement should
read (it will be re-wrapped by the list server but it started as one long
statement):

UPDATE user SET Password = OLD_PASSWORD('put_your_new_password_here')
WHERE User='root';

Don't forget to FLUSH PRIVILEGES; again before you try to relogin.

Shawn Green
Database Administrator
Unimin Corporation - Spruce Pine