Hi MySQL people.

I'm trying to understand the pros and cons of the "set" column type.

Here is an excerpt from the article:

http://dev.mysql.com/tech-resources/articles/mysql-set-datatype.html

      Why You Shouldn't Use SET

"Third, using a set means your data is not normalized. In our above
example, we are tracking a person's interests for a hypothetical
dating site. In a normalized schema, there should be three tables: one
for the person, one for all possible interests, and one that links a
person to their particular interests."

The "above example" is:

  CREATE TABLE set_test(
    rowid INT UNSIGNED NOT NULL AUTO_INCREMENT PRIMARY KEY,
    myset SET('Travel','Sports','Dancing','Fine Dining')
  );

I guess I'm not understanding the point here.  What practical
advantage is there to creating three tables instead of using a set
column type?

Thank you for any help.

Marilyn Davis