On Fri, Apr 27, 2001 at 04:08:20PM -0700, Patrick Calkins wrote:

> How stable is InnoDB, BDB, MyISAM, etc?? I am developing a
> production system using MySQL, and wanted to know that stability
> status on these table types.  I wanted to use transactions if I
> could - is the transaction-enabled table types stable enough for
> production? Or should I stick with MyISAM and engineer
> transaction-like behavior into my code??

If I had to guess based on what I've experienced and what people on
this mailing list tend to write, stability is currently related to the
age of the code (as it relates to the MySQL project, at least). Of
those three, MyISAM is the most stable. In fact, I'd simply say that
it is stable. Period. BDB is next, followed by InnoDB.

Looking to the future, and this is just my speculation, I suspect that
in the next 6-9 months, InnoDB and Gemini (currently in beta) will
surpass BDB in terms of stability, quality, and performance. Why?
Because they already offer more features and probably better
performance than BDB. More folks (who are currently on BDB) will move
to them and look back on BDB as the first attempt to get transaction
support and more granular locking into MySQL.

That's not to say that there's no place in the world for BDB tables.
They do provide transactions and page-level locking. Their advantage
over InnoDB or Gemini is that they're currently more widely used and
they require less administrative setup (though Gemini isn't far behind
in this regard).

Hope that helps,

Jeremy
--
Jeremy D. Zawodny, <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Technical Yahoo - Yahoo Finance

MySQL 3.23.29: up 115 days, processed 716,984,773 queries (71/sec. avg)