Hi,

With MySql 4.1.10a, I am using a commerial app (Advanced Query Tool)
to query and manage the server and databases in it.

While performing one of its functions, the app issues the query
" select * from msql.db where db=database()

This query give the error:
"HYT00(1267) Illegal mix of collations (utf8_bin,IMPLICIT) and
(utf8_general_ci,IMPLICIT) for operation '='  "

This is because the mysql database db table is set to utf8_bin collation but
the function "database()" returns a result that is in utf8_general_ci
collation,
and the comparison of them with the "=" operator is incompatible.

Can anybody tell me what to do to make this not happen?
How can I set the collation of information functions like database()
(in this case to utf_bin to match the mysql.db column)?

I have played around with having the client app issue
SET of connection_collation, server_collation, and some
other system variables.  I don't know if this is even the right approach and
what to set which variable to.

Thanks for any advice you can give,

Jim Cramer
University of Iowa