I don't know if this is the right way to get back to the thread,
hopefully this will be placed under the same thread. :)

Thank you for your input, Ligaya.
ahhh...mbstring, I tired that after i got your reply, but it didn't
help to solve the puzzle,

I did manage to find myself a solution last night though,

it turns out that even if I set --default-character-set = utf-8 in the
option file,
the character_set_client, character_set_results,
character_set_connection somehow are still latin1.

I don't know if this is some bug in mysql (--default-character-set in
option file has little or no effects??), or it has to do with php
internal encoding(php issues a latin1 charset upon every mysql
connection by default?? is that possible? I am still wondering....)
anyway, i manage to issue a SET NAMES  'utf8'; query after every
connection, and everything works well.

I'm pretty satisfied with this result at the moment, now i can catch
some sleeps happily.

thank you again,

de-zhao cai