These points are all well considered, but the point is that I operate
under the assumption that the bad guys out there already have this
information, and that only legit people don't have it becuse they do not
operate in those circles. And yes, if you are  operating a service on the
internet, you should be expected to act  immediately on such news. There
are too many out there ready to exploit holes in systems to the detriment
of the entire internet.

In essence as a sytem administrator you have to be ready to either a) act
immediately or b) take your chances during the time you don't act. I see
ful ldisclosure as a big heads up and I think it is more valuable than the
downside of letting more bad people know of the problem, as, I noted, I
see the black hats as already having the knowledge.

I know it is an imprefect world, and , legitimately, the way most routers
are set up, monday will be just fine for locking down the bug, bug I'm
glad I know...

But your points are well taken, I am just more pessimistic about the state
of knowledge in the cracker community.

 Chris