Hi Pat,

I thought that was discussed before over and over on this mailinglist. I
am surprised that many people have isues with that topic. Basically it
boils down to 2 questions.

1) Will you include and ditsribute the source code and the changes (if
any) and the GPL license in your product ?

If yes, than you DONT need a commercial license.
if NO, (in other words you dont want to publish any changes you made to
the code) then you need a commercial license.

2) Are you selling the product or a service ?

If you are trying to sell the customer the very same MySQL product for $$
that he can download, then you must be good at sales, no questions asked.

If you are selling a service (Consulting, Installation and setup etc. than
you also dont need a commercial license ( + same as under 1 applies).

want to distribute it as closed source.

You can however at any time make a support contract or buy a commercial
license to show your gratitude for the MySQL guys.
That is usually a nice gesture, gets you support and backup when you need
it and last but not least makes you feel good (peace of mind ;-).

I hope that makes things clearer.

Nils Valentin
Tokyo / Japan

http://www.be-known-online.com