In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
Fagyal Csongor <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

mysql> show variables like 'character%';
>> +--------------------------+--------------------------------------------
>> -------------+
>> | Variable_name            | Value
>> |
>> +--------------------------+--------------------------------------------
>> -------------+
>> | character_set_client     | latin1
>> |
>> | character_set_connection | latin1
>> |
>> | character_set_database   | latin1
>> |
>> | character_set_results    | latin1
>> |
>> | character_set_server     | latin2
>> |
>> | character_set_system     | utf8
>> |
>> | character_sets_dir       | C:\Program Files\MySQL\MySQL Server
>> 4.1\share\charsets/ |
>> +--------------------------+--------------------------------------------
>> -------------+
>>

> Thank you, but... erm... you still have all variables set to latin1,
> except for character_set_server... I have character_set_server set to
> latin2, too, but it does not help.

Perhaps the following excerpt from "perldoc DBD::mysql" is relevant
for you:

  mysql_read_default_file
  mysql_read_default_group
     These options can be used to read a config file
     like /etc/my.cnf or ~/.my.cnf. By default MySQL's
     C client library doesn't use any config files
     unlike the client programs (mysql, mysqladmin,
     ...) that do, but outside of the C client library.
     Thus you need to explicitly request reading a con­
     fig file, as in

         $dsn = "DBI:mysql:test;mysql_read_default_file=/home/joe/my.cnf";
         $dbh = DBI->connect($dsn, $user, $password)

Put "character_set_client = latin2" into your my.cnf ant tell Perl to
read it.