Here we are Shawn,

With empty tables :
+----+--------------------+-------+------+---------------+------+-------
--+------+------+-------------+
| id | select_type        | table | type | possible_keys | key  |
key_len | ref  | rows | Extra       |
+----+--------------------+-------+------+---------------+------+-------
--+------+------+-------------+
|  1 | PRIMARY            | a     | ALL  | NULL          | NULL |
NULL | NULL |    0 | Using where |
|  2 | DEPENDENT SUBQUERY | b     | ALL  | NULL          | NULL |
NULL | NULL |    0 | Using where |
+----+--------------------+-------+------+---------------+------+-------
--+------+------+-------------+
2 rows in set (0.00 sec)

mysql>
mysql> explain select parentid,max(datestamp) from table2
    ->  group by parentid;
+----+-------------+--------+------+---------------+------+---------+---
---+------+---------------------------------+
| id | select_type | table  | type | possible_keys | key  | key_len |
ref  | rows | Extra                           |
+----+-------------+--------+------+---------------+------+---------+---
---+------+---------------------------------+
|  1 | SIMPLE      | table2 | ALL  | NULL          | NULL |    NULL |
NULL |    0 | Using temporary; Using filesort |

One or two table scans ?

Best Regards
Mathias FATENE

Hope that helps
*This not an official mysql support answer