Hi,
If my englsih is so bad, i'll try to explain and stop this thread now.
I'm not teaching, i'm answering questions. If someone wants to read
docs, he (she) doesn't ask a question on the list. So if i answer, i
answer the question, just the question.

You want to know my level of knowledgne, 10 years, oracle, sybase,
sqlserver, db2. I can help for migration from or to...
I said don't use joins for the query given in the example or queries
using just the joining columns from the first table.  Normal forms is
bla bla here ...

See also about covering indexes. That can help.

This is the query given by Jeff :
>>> So, if record 100 in table1 links to 5 corresponding records in
table2,
>>> I want to pull the latest record from table2 where table2.parentid =
100 and table2.user not like 'john'

The only clause is about table2.parentid = 100  or child.id = 100.
that's the same.
All the other clauses are on table2. This is the exampel given by Jeff.

If you want absolutely LEFT outer joins for that (without other columns
from table1), i say you good luck, this can (also) do the trick.

That's all.

-----------------
If you give me real examples, i can help you to give you to find the
right (if i can) query plan. Tuning is my first target when i think a
query.
I never suggest nested loops, but relationnal algebra.
I'm not supposed speeking to students but DBAs, for specific question.

Sorry if i run up against your sensitivity, but we are not speaking
about the same thing.

And please if you have to criticize or complete an answer, it's your
right. The list is for that. If you want to speak to me as your student,
this is enough. I never did it when i was teacher 11 years ago.

Best Regards
Mathias FATENE

Hope that helps
*This not an official mysql support answer