Thanks for the advice!

I put 2.4.3ac9 (will try 2.4.4 a bit later today) on the database (and
web) servers .. However, at the peak hours and the onslaught of users
hit the site everything goes to hell ..

I'm tending to lean towards there being some issues in the MySQL area ..
During normal hours of 'low' (low being relative .. The site gets
moderate usage throughout the day) everything runs fine .. If I monitor
connections to the server (via processlist) I see lots of connections
come in .. A lot of SELECT's, a few UPDATE's, and then everything
disconnects .. And this behaviour happens throughout the day ...
However, during peak hours (9am and 5pm) the connections come in .. And
seem to overload the mysql server ... Up to 600+ connections will be in
the system .. Then mysql timeouts kick in and start killing connections
( a lot of the connections seem to be in the 'Sending data' state, or
'Locked' state because of the Updates .. ) .. Then it seems that when
the connections are killed, the clients aren't made aware of this and
just hang .. So, for example, I may see no connections in the database
(after it kills them), but yet hundreds of the scripts are still
running, not doing anything .. That may be a separate issue ..

It just seems as though MySQL (under Linux/Intel anyway) can't seem to
handle thousands of incoming connections at once .. The same behaviour
seems to happen with a bunch of scripts that just do nothing but
SELECT's (written by totally different authors) ..

Still stuck .. :-/

Thanks,
  Terry