Hello ..

I've been experiencing a few problems with MySQL 3.23.3[67] configured
for TCP on Linux ..

We have two websites which are very active, and are noticing similar
behaviour with the database.. One site has about a hundred thousand
users, and gets very active a few times a day.. The site does many reads
and updates to the database, at the same time .. Usually during the peak
times, when it seems as though everyone is logging in and using it, the
database starts filling up with queries waiting for updates to complete
.. It keeps going until the database server (4 processors @ 550mhz ea)
gets unbearably slow, and our cluster of webservers do the same with
apache's + cgi's waiting for replies from the database ....... From what
I've read, this is considered normal, because of the table locking
nature of MySQL ... Right?  Ok ..

The second site does no writes to the database just strictly reads ..
The database itself is also on a large server (4 cpu/550mhz), and during
peak times where many users bombard the site all at once, the database
seems to act similar to above .. Connections flood the system and
apache's get caught waiting for a reply ..

In both cases the built-in timeouts in MySQL kill the connections, but
the scripts (Apache's + cgi's) don't seem to get notified and just hang
around indefinately ... This may be a coding bug .. (?)

I guess my question is .. Are there any known problems with MySQL
receiving many instantaneous connections ? (hundreds within a few
seconds .. )

For further info, I'm running linux 2.2.19 configured for up to 2000
processes (the max I've seen the server get to is around 800 .. Idling
at around 60)... I've tried running the database with the database both
on the local raid and currently over 1gb ethernet to a NetApp filer
(incase the local raid, which is a year or so old is too slow .. )

Any ideas?

Thanks,
  Terry Katz