Geoffrey R. Thompson wrote:

Things have been fine until recently, when the .frm files for these tables mysteriously disappeared from the mysql data directory (even though the underlying data for the tables was still intact in the separate InnoDB data file).

As far as I'm aware InnoDB doesn't use the .frm files, those are MyISAM only. So, if you converted the tables to InnoDB, the .frm files would disappear.

I know almost nothing about this, but I'd say you had a better chance of someone in the know answering you if the question was a little clearer. Include some examples maybe, errors you've received, Queries you ran to convert the tables...

Chris