You should never just upgrade your system. Always find where the bottleneck is first. If it's RAM, then you just need to add more. If it's I/O, you need to add/change your disks.
Those numbers don't seem that high for the hardware you have. You should try changing some configuration variables on your system first, after you find the bottleneck.