Hi,

I have a P4 system with 1GB Ram and 512MB Swap (a little low I know).

I'm running a multi threaded MySQL installation on it. With a bit of shock, I realised today that I ran completely out of swap space!!! Each MySQL thread is consuming about 160MB of ram, and I had close to 40 threads running. All my databases currently are approximately 1.5GB as far as file size goes, so it's not *that* much really. The biggest table is MyISAM (for delayed inserts), holding approximately 2million records currently.

Is there a way to limit the amount of threads that MySQL can start, and to "manage" the pool of threads? I.E. min servers, max servers, idle servers, etc....

And, can someone point me to a good side regarding getting optimum values for my.cnf? I'm running MySQL 4.1.11

my.cnf:
[mysqld]
log-queries-not-using-indexes
skip-name-resolve
skip-show-database
skip-external-locking

port               = 3306
socket             = /tmp/mysql.sock
key_buffer_size    = 8M
max_allowed_packet = 4M
bind-address       = x.x.x.x.122
server-id          = 100

set-variable       = back_log=10
set-variable       = connect_timeout=10
set-variable       = interactive_timeout=28800
set-variable       = interactive_timeout=20
set-variable       = join_buffer=256000
set-variable       = key_buffer_size=64M

set-variable       = max_allowed_packet=1M
set-variable       = max_connect_errors=512
set-variable       = max_connections=64
set-variable       = max_user_connections=64

set-variable       = myisam_sort_buffer_size=16M

set-variable       = net_buffer_length=32K
set-variable       = net_read_timeout=30
set-variable       = net_retry_count=10000
set-variable       = net_write_timeout=60

set-variable       = query_cache_size=16M
set-variable       = query_cache_limit=1M
set-variable       = query_cache_type=1

set-variable       = read_buffer_size=2M
set-variable       = sort_buffer=2M
set-variable       = table_cache=64

set-variable       = thread_stack=64k
set-variable       = thread_cache=16
set-variable       = thread_concurrency=2

set-variable       = tmp_table_size=200000
set-variable       = wait_timeout=28800

set-variable       = delayed_insert_limit=2000
set-variable       = delayed_insert_timeout=1800
set-variable       = delayed_queue_size=8000
set-variable       = max_delayed_threads=32

-- Chris.

I love deadlines. I especially love the whooshing sound they make as they fly by..." - Douglas Adams, 'Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy'